Starting Your Own Business In Maryland
Let the Gaithersburg Germantown Chamber of Commerce help you!
Congratulations on starting your own business. It takes a lot of hard work, energy, and courage and the Chamber would like to help you on your way.
- Small Business Administration
- Maryland Small Business Development Center – Capital Region
- Maryland Department of Commerce
- MCEDC – Montgomery County Economic Development Corporation
- MBDC – Montgomery Business Development Corporation
- City of Gaithersburg Economic Development
- Maryland Women’s Business Center
IRS Resources for Small Business Owners
Small business owners, especially new sole proprietors, can find a wealth of information covering their federal tax responsibilities on www.IRS.gov.
The SB/SE Tax Center is the “Go To” IRS.gov page for everything small business.
Online at IRS.gov:
- Small business owners, especially new sole proprietors, can find a wealth of information covering their federal tax responsibilities on www.IRS.gov.The SB/SE Tax Center is the “Go To” IRS.gov page for everything small business.Online at IRS.gov:
- Tax Calendar for Small Businesses and Self-Employed
- Online Learning and Educational Products – Links to IRS virtual small business tax workshop, tax calendar for small business, SBA small business training, and more.
- Live Small Business Tax Workshops and Webinars
- Starting a Business
This page includes links to basic federal tax information for people starting a business, as well as information to assist in making basic business decisions. Links include:
Industries/Professions – Info on specific industries
State Links – State websites with info on doing business in that state
- Is it a Business or a Hobby?
- Selecting a Business Structure
- Employer Identification Number (EIN)
- Business Taxes
- When Do I Start My Tax Year?
- Checklist for Starting a Business
- Types of Retirement Plans
Operating a Business This page includes links to an extensive set of subpages on many topics including, but not limited to:
- What is Taxable and Nontaxable Income
- Business Expenses
- Filing and Paying Your Business Taxes
- Estimated Taxes
- Businesses With Employees
- Small Business Resources – Links to other government resources for businesses.
- Publication 583 , Starting a Business and Keeping Records
- Publication 334 – Tax Guide for Small Business
- Farm Business Expenses section of Publication 225, Farmer’s Tax Guide
- Publication 4591, Small Business Federal Tax Responsibilities
- Other Recommended Reading for Small Businesses
The IRS Video Portal at www.irsvideos.gov is an online learning site for taxpayers. Small business owners should choose the Small Businesses tab, select a topic (e.g. “Starting a Business” or “Business Income”) and then select any video. Small Business Owners should check out the Virtual Small Business Tax Workshop, an informative recorded seminar composed of nine interactive lessons designed to help new small business owners learn their tax rights and responsibilities.
YouTube: Find out what tax credits, deductions and law changes may affect your small business.
Subscribe to e-News for Small Business: e-News for Small Businesses is a free electronic mail service designed to provide tax information for small business owners and self-employed individuals.
Get the latest news and information from the IRS on: